Less weight with density-reduced polyamide blend
How can CO₂ emissions be reduced without any significant impact on component properties? The solution can be found in blends of polyamide and polypropylene, usually with glass fiber reinforcement. Blends not only offer great potential for reducing energy consumption, but the cost price of such a compound is also comparable to that of a pure polymide compound, which means that a lower component price can be achieved.
For some applications, the strength level of a PP compound is not sufficient. Especially a PP tends to creep, which is a challenge for the designer. AKRO-PLASTIC has therefore developed AKROMID® Lite, a series of compounds with similar properties as polyamide with additionally lower density. This gap between polyamide and polypropylene is closed by the density-reduced polyamide blend AKROMID® Lite, which reduces the weight of the components by up to 10 percent, depending on the type.
The PA/PP blend has several advantages compared to a pure polyamide compound and allows thin-walled components to be easily filled. A polyamide blend based on PA 6.6 exhibits corresponding mechanical properties. The material was tested in a frame mold for vans by Kunststofftechnik Backhaus, Kierspe. When the B3 GF 25 1 L black was processed, it was found to require less pressure than the standard PA 6 GF 30 used previously. The fan frame is now lighter than before, and that without any further investment in other technologies.
In this project, not only economic advantages could be achieved by changing the material from PA 6 GF 30 to AKROMID® B3 GF 25 1 L (4637). The low water absorption allows a dimensional stable component, which keeps its performance independent of the climate conditions. Moreover, due to the lower carbon footprint of the polypropylene, the greenhouse gas emissions of the compound are reduced. Therefore, an AKROMID® polyamide 6 GF 30 can have a carbon footprint of 5.5 kgCO2eq/kg. In contrast, the carbon footprint of AKROMID® B3 GF 25 1 L black (4637) is 4.4 kgCO2eq/kg. This corresponds to a reduction of 20%.If the density is adjusted, the footprint is 10% better. This corresponds to a total CO₂eq saving of 30%.
We also offer sustainable, ISCC PLUS certified variants of the AKROMID® Lite compounds, which have a lower carbon footprint than the Lite Standard compounds. For example, AKROMID® B3 GF 30 1 L CI black (8375) has a carbon footprint of 3.7 kgCO2eq/kg.
Disclaimer: All specifications and information given on this website are based on our current knowledge and experience. A legally binding promise of certain characteristics or suitability for a concrete individual case cannot be derived from this information. The information supplied here is not intended to release processors and users from the responsibility of carrying out their own tests and inspections in each concrete individual case. AKRO®, AKROMID®, AKROLEN®, AKROLOY®, AKROTEK®, ICX®, PRECITE® and DIA(hr)LOG® are registered trademarks of AKRO-PLASTIC GmbH.
Discuss your project with one of our experts!
Arrange an online appointment. Of course free of charge and without obligation. Learn everything you need to know directly from one of our plastics experts.Arrange online appointment